DETROIT

From Agepedia

Jump to: navigation , search

DETROIT ; a city, port of entry, and capital of Michigan, in Wayne county, on the west side of the river Detroit, between lakes St. Clair and Erie, 18 miles N. 3f the west end of the latter, and 9 S. of the for mer; 300 S. by E. Michilimackinac ; 302 W. by S. Buffalo; Ion. 82° 58' W.; lot 42° 24' N.: population, in 1810, 770; in 1820, 1422, exclusive of the garrison. It is finely situated, regularly laid out in a square three quarters of a mile on each side, with spacious streets, having an elevation of about 40 feet above the river, of which it commands beautiful views. It contains a handsome Catholic church of stone, besides several other public buildings. The town is defended by fort Shelby, which is a regular work of an oblong form, covering an acre of ground ; and the barracks adjoining are capable of quartering several regiments. It is advantageously situated, and has a considerable and growing commerce, and is a place of importance in the fur trade. In 1825, as it appears from the customhouse foooks, there were 270 arrivals, and the same number of clearances of vessels, at and from this port. It was wholly destroyed by fire in 1805; but the streets have been since laid out regular and wide, and the town built in an improved style. Detroit was settled by the French from 'Canada as early as 1683. In August, 1812, it was taken by the British, under general Brock, but it did not long remain in their possession.